(use with Filtropa filter papers #4)
The Clever Coffee Dripper is a free standing, one cup filter with one very important addition — a valve that keeps your brew from drawing down until you activate it by sitting it on a cup. What’s so good about that? Well, the way the valve works means that you can control all the variables of your brew independently of each other. No matter which brewing method you’re using, it always comes down to the same variables — grind size, the amount of coffee you dose, water weight, water temperature and the amount of time that the water and coffee are in contact.
How to use:
Start with a fine filter drip grind and add water just off the boil. After 1:30 minutes, stir. Let steep for 4 minutes, stir again and then place the filter on your cup or mug; the stopper automatically opens and allows the filtered coffee to flow out. You can balance grind, dose and extraction time to find the right combination that works for you. A finer grind will need less extraction time, a coarser grind, more. The temperature of the water should remain between 90 and 96 degrees C throughout the brewing process. We recommend covering the brew as it steeps in the filter for this reason.
The dripper will fit on cups with tops between 3.8cm and 9.5cm in diameter. the Clever Dripper is not dishwasher or microwave safe
The right coffee for the Clever Coffee Dripper.
To get the best out of a filter brew the coffee needs to be roasted lighter which allows a lot of the bright characters and subtle nuances that are usually not detected in an espresso style roast.
Comes with Filter Papers!
Suggested Clever Coffee Dripper Brewing Method
- Insert filter into the dripper and rinse to reduce paper taste and warm the dripper.
- Grind immediately before you brew. The following is based on using a relatively fine drip grind. If you use a coarser grind, you may need to lengthen extraction time.
- Add coffee into the filter. (See chart below)
- Add water (90-93deg C) and cover to retain the heat. At 1.5 minutes, remove cover, stir to fully mix the grounds and re-cover.
- At 3 – 4 minutes (depending on your taste), stir one last time and place dripper on top of a mug or other vessel to start coffee draining.
- To stop the flow, simply lift the dripper off the mug.
Amount of ground coffee: 22g. Water Used: 350ml Amount of coffee made: 300ml
Amount of ground coffee: 33g. Water Used: 530ml Amount of coffee made: 450ml
**We have found that for the most accurate brewing, it is best to measure your water by weight. This is easily done by preparing your coffee on a scale. For 22 grams of coffee, you want to use 360 grams of hot water.